February 17, 2009

Travel Guru

I believe that anyone thinking of traveling to Europe, anyone who watches PBS or anyone who is/was an expat in Europe has heard of Rick Steves. The other weekend I saw in the paper that the LA travel and adventure show was going to happen on February 14th & 15th at the LA convention center and one of the speakers would be Rick Steves.

His books got me, and I know a lot of other friends in Brussels through many cities in Europe. I didn't use his tips on hotels (they didn't usually allow dogs) or restaurants but his simple step- by-step of how to catch the train from Florence to Pisa Italy, his quick-guide map of the Louvre in Paris, the hours of the Sistine Chapel and many many more have tips have been very helpful in planning my trips.

Once we got to the Convention Center we went to Rick's booth just to check it out before we went to listen to him and take a photo of him for the blog. Surprise! He was at the booth getting ready to go get ready for his lecture. He looks so different in person than on TV or in his books, Joe and I were debating if it was him or not. Finally someone had him sign a book and we ran back over for me to get my book signed and a photo op. Joe was just laughing cause I was smiling so big in the photo. He is not as goofy in person as I was hoping for, maybe because he was trying to get to the area to give his speech on budget travel. He did let me take a photo of him so that was good.

So since we saw Rick we didn't go to his lecture (oops sorry) we just walked around the expo and got good info on Hawaii, California and Fiji so I can start planning trips again.

My signed book 

Rick & me - did I mention he is really really tall.  I even have heels on. 

The Flanders booth was next to Rick's so we visited for old times (with things like this popping up, how am I going to get over not being there any more?).  Chatted with the lady-of course she asked if we visited Bruges when we were in Belgium.  You know I'm not a fan of Bruges and thought Rick was going to ask me about it but, no, someone from Belgium that had Bruges brochures brought it up.  I connect very well with Colin Farrell's character in the movie "In Bruges".  I'm rooting for the film at the Oscars Sunday (original screen play) or Brad Pitt.  Click here for my movie review. 

No comments: