June 15, 2009

USC or Union Square Cafe

We had a blast in NYC thanks for asking. However for 3 world travelers and me loving and visiting the New York City more times that I can remember we sure had problems with the subway aka metro for Anne and I.

For just one example out of many, we were looking all over for the entrance to the subway early on morning. We even resorted to asking a man where the metro was…yes some of us are use to calling it the metro (living and traveling to long over sea for 2 of us) To which he answered “what are you looking for?” Never mind we replied. Then we finally hear it running then it stopped through the grate in the sidewalks (the only time I have been grateful for grates on the sidewalk) so we knew we were close. If you can believe this we were standing right by the entrance – really there was an entrance on all 4 corners that we walked by – yes every single one we walked right by not even noticing them. Can you say tourist – I was thinking we should have just wrote it on our foreheads so someone would have taken us by the hand and shown us the way.  

Back to the main reason for this blog entry “Union Square Café” I have eaten here before with Joe and loved it. This time I think it might have been better than before.(highly suggest it)  As for the location it was only 8 or 9 blocks from our Hotel. The neighborhood I’m not sure which one it is in…West Village, Greenwich Village or Gramercy.  

The menu is great mostly Italian so when we kept reading USC special sauce or dish we started to think what does the University of Southern California have to do with this restaurant in New York. Later on it during dinner it dawned on us that USC was short for “union square café”. So between the subway mishaps and the USC thing you would have thought the 3 of us have never been away from home before.

Here are some photos from our night out.

The 3 of us before we got our food - and before the bags under my eyes got really bad.  I took the red eye out to NYC and didn't sleep on the plane. 

My GARLIC with pasta and halibut.  Oh this was really garlicy my tongue was burning but it was good.  I was thinking if any one messed with us on the walk home I would just breath on them. 
The best calamari I have tasted.

The girls after dinner.
My birthday desert and the necklace Joe always thinks will break my neck. (huge polished turquoise rocks I got in Paris with Anne on a day trip)  

No comments: