February 10, 2010

day 214

Quinoa with Basil and Pine Nuts

This was my first recipe I made from "the kind diet" by Alicia Silverstone the book I have been reading. It was soo good I have made it a couple time now. I even gave some away so friends could try it that is how good it is.

Serves 2
1 cup Quinoa
1 tablespoon olive oil
Pinch of sea salt
1/2 cup of pinenuts
1 generous handful of fresh basil leaves chopped


Place the quinoa in a strainer and rinse well. I pan-roast the rinsed quinoa until it's golden before boiling for a nuttier flavor. This is an option you don't have to do this if you don't want to. You do have to rinse them though.

Chop the basil or tear.

Combine the quinoa with 2 cups of water and salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.

While the quinoa cooks, heat the pine nuts in a small dry skillet over medium heat. Toast until the nuts are just starting to turn golden, shaking or stirring frequently to prevent burning. Transfer to a serving bowl to cool.

Add the quinoa to the serving bowl with the pine nuts and fluff with a fork. Add the olive oil and basil, stir to combine, and serve.

Yummy!

No comments: