July 17, 2009

Day 6

In Memory of Joe 


Before you start to read today's blog I highly suggest you get some tissues. 

I had the first of two memorial services for Joe today.. I really didn't know how many people to expect maybe 30? When Jaime one of the speakers showed up and said 50 people from WF and I knew most of the bike club was coming I started to wonder if we had a big enough space. I was just amazed with over 100 people showing up. Remember we just moved here 7 months ago and Joe just started to ride with these guys a couple months ago. Not to mention I have not met any of the bike club or his co workers.

Before and after the service almost everyone shared stories and I did have many people that that really touched me and I will give you a brief summary.

A teenage daughter of an employee at WF said she liked that since Joe started to work here her mom is in a good mood when she comes home from work.

A woman that 3 years ago her husband was hit by a drunk driver on a Saturday afternoon while he was riding his bike too.

A rider in the group Joe was with said I'm always at the end it should have been me. He was sobbing so hard and was felt so guilty that it wasn't him. I just told him it wasn't his time to go. (they rotate taking turns leading the group of riders and he just stays in the back but on Saturday he did the rotation)

A man that live a couple blocks away who is 43 and has a wife named Jill told me that I will get through this and the reason he know this is that 7 years ago he ran over his daughter and killed her.

Lastly I ask a man named Bob to speak at the service. He called me on Sunday to say he was with Joe when he took his last breath. He also said that he looked at peace when he passed.

After the service some of the bike club team members and my family drove out to accident site to put up a cross. They are also planning to add a plaque and a ghost rider bike and the same spot. (a bike painted white)

Did I ever mention that Bob is the set designer for Desperate Housewife's. That the carpenter for the show made and painted the cross. For a man that never watched tv until he met me sure found the right friend.

After the cross we went to the mortuary to sign the final papers. My husband will be cremated on Friday. If all goes well I will have the ashes on Monday afternoon.

Here are some photos from the day.

Thank you all again for calls. I'm hanging in there.


photos, flanders flag, tour de france scarf and a metal bike 

My mom and Foxy waiting for the service-yup Foxy go to go everywhere thursday.  She can't go to the service in Minneapolis though.  

The cross with one of Joe's water bottles I found there. 

Some of the guys looking at the accident site

More of the people looking and reflecting

A moment of silence 

The group of guys that were riding along Joe. Bob (orange shirt)  was in the pack behind them. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sad. That story with the man who said he ran over his daughter seven years ago...unimaginable. I'm glad to see you're getting some much-needed support in your time of loss. Truly sad for you and your family.

Unknown said...

What proof of Joe being such a wonderful person...100 people...WOW. The service looked beautiful and you did an amazing job in creating such a personal, love filled way for everyone to remember Joe. The stories that were shared with you were so sad yet inspiring.

Thinking of you,
Terri and family

Anonymous said...

What a moving testimonial to the man Joe was. I am sorry I never got to meet him.
You were right about the tissue . . .

Mimi's Mom said...

I've been reading your blog for some time since you lived in Belgium, but never commented since I don't have a blog myself.

Just catching up and am so shocked and saddened to read your latest news. Am so terribly sorry this happened to your husband, you, your family and Foxy. My heart and prayers go out to you.